Friarbasketball.com was in attendance for the taping of the Ed Cooley radio show earlier in the week at the Slavin Center on the Providence College campus. The show will air Sunday, May 19th at 7:00pm on WEEI 103.7 FM. There was lot of good information shared during the show and I would recommend that everyone tune in Sunday. Some of the highlights from the show:
- For 2014 Coach Cooley said they are on some of the best players in the country. Of the top 10 players they are recruiting, seven of them are listed in the top 50 in the country.
- On 2013 recruiting, Cooley said that “recruiting never stops, but if it is not someone the staff feels can help right away we will not use the scholarship.”
- PC is trying to recruit a class of four or five players for 2014
- There were some fascinating insights on what he tries to emphasize during an in home visit with a recruit including sharing “how we can change your life.” He spoke of the academic support staff, and being a father figure, mentor, and disciplinarian for players. He also mentioned that basketball is not mentioned during the first hour of the in home visit.
- Coach Cooley spoke about being named a coach for the USA Under 19 national team for the trials next month.
- The staff is still working hard to bring another top 10 team into the Dunk for next year, but no one wants to play PC in the Dunk right now. There are still two spots to fill on the schedule.
- Guests on the show were Lee Goldsbrough and Associate Athletic Director for Fundraising Steve Napolilllo.
- There will be one more Ed Cooley radio show this season which will take place next month at the Ed Cooley Father/Son basketball camp.