With the college basketball season kicking off in under 30 days, I figured it would be a good time to look back at some of the best games of 2012. A year ago, Friarbasketball pulled together game reels of a number of games with the intent of not just highlighting the best plays from a PC perspective, but to try to capture the game in seven minutes.
Today, we kick off the look back with Providence’s crushing overtime loss on Super Bowl Sunday to West Virginia.
- The struggling Friars (2-8 in the Big East heading in) started on fire early, making 16 of their first 18 shots, in building a 15 point advantage.
- PC still led by seven with just over five minutes to play, but were late to seemingly every loose ball in the final minutes, as West Virginia was able to consistently keep plays alive off of offensive rebounds. Was it a result of fatigue? In 45 minutes Providence got a combined 0 points and 3 rebounds from their bench.
- Providence shot over 50% from the field and from three and still lost.
- Gerard Coleman had his best game as a Friar, attacking the rim as advertised when he signed, on his way to 30 points (9-15 from the field, 12-15 FTs).
- Bilal Dixon had 10 rebounds in 31 minutes, Vincent Council 9 assists, Bryce Cotton made 3 of 6 from three, and LaDontae Henton shot 5 of 6 from three point range.
- The loss was the first of three straight painful defeats, followed up by losing a 19 point lead at Villanova and a late advantage versus South Florida at home.
|West Virginia Mountaineers|
|Kevin Jones, F||45||8-19||1-6||3-4||2||5||1||0||3||1||2||20|
|Deniz Kilicli, F||37||9-15||0-0||4-5||4||6||1||0||0||3||2||22|
|Darryl Bryant, G||45||11-22||5-12||5-5||2||3||2||1||0||2||3||32|
|Jabarie Hinds, G||17||1-3||0-1||0-0||1||2||2||1||0||0||5||2|
|Keaton Miles, F||8||0-0||0-0||2-2||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||2|
|Aaron Brown, G||28||1-3||1-3||1-2||0||0||2||1||0||0||2||4|
|Gary Browne, G||36||2-6||1-3||0-0||2||9||6||0||0||1||3||5|
|Dominique Rutledge, F||8||0-0||0-0||0-0||0||0||2||0||0||1||0||0|
|Paul Williamson, G||1||0-0||0-0||0-0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Bilal Dixon, F-C||31||1-2||0-0||4-6||3||10||0||0||0||1||3||6|
|LaDontae Henton, F||42||6-8||5-6||0-0||1||6||0||2||0||0||4||17|
|Vincent Council, G||45||6-17||1-5||3-4||1||2||9||1||0||3||2||16|
|Gerard Coleman, G||45||9-15||0-0||12-16||2||5||1||2||1||0||1||30|
|Bryce Cotton, G||45||6-12||3-6||0-0||0||4||3||0||0||2||0||15|
|Kadeem Batts, F||11||0-0||0-0||0-0||1||2||0||0||1||2||4||0|
|Ron Giplaye, F||4||0-1||0-0||0-0||1||1||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Brice Kofane, F||2||0-0||0-0||0-0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0|